Thursday, February 20, 2020

Brute, Short Film, Review And Interview


The synopsis covers what the Brute is about. The symbolism of how nature reflects the individual's perception of reality gives the story another level.

Brute was screened at the 2019 FilmQuest film festival (website). It was nominated for Best Fantastic Short.

Synopsis: A young mother and her son flee an abusive husband in the middle of the night only to find themselves trapped in their car in a field with a homicidal bull.

The director, Brian Folan, shares how true life stories influenced his film. He also shares what he likes to do and what got him started in film making.

What was the inspiration for Brute?

The film was inspired by two true stories that overlapped each other. The first was the story of how my uncle was attacked by an absolutely massive bull and his account of the attack. The most frightening part was that when he finally managed to get free from the bull he jumped into a drainage ditch and the bull stalked up and down waiting for him to come out.

The second story that makes up the inspiration for Brute comes from a friend of mine who broke free from an unhealthy relationship and how she used it to completely change her life. Both are stories of the power that people discover when the chips are down.

What project(s) do you have coming up you're excited about?

Brute has been getting a great response from audiences, so I'm really stoked about developing it into a feature. It's something that I'm really enjoying watch come to life.

What was your early inspiration for pursuing a career in film?

Way back in school we had the chance to try film making as teenagers and I loved it, we made an anti-drugs film which was awful, think Refer Madness but without a budget, but it didn't matter, I loved how everything came together. It was edited using VHS tape to tape and the camera weighed a ton and ran on diesel. Throwing us kids into that really demystified it to me and from there I was like "I think this is me."

What would be your dream project?

Monster movie! I really liked 80s horror and fantasy. John Carpenter, John Landis, and Wes Craven are all directors that I really admire from that time and I think that they made really bold films that have such an influence today. So, for my dream project would be to bring something new to the horror genre in the same way they did.

What are some of your favorite pastimes when not working on a movie?

I have two daughters, so I don't have pastimes anymore. But when I do get the time I write. I try to write something every day regardless if its good or not. We're quite close to the mountains here in Poland so I've been hauling ass over them a lot lately. Also drinking, not sure if that qualifies.

What is one of your favorite movies and why?

I really loved Jaws. It's such a great monster movie. I watched it through my mother's fingers as a child and then I got it on VHS. I watched it so much that the color completely faded, and it looked like it was all set at night. Everything about that movie is right. The dialogue is great, the characters are so well formed, or in Quint's case deformed and what a monster, not just the shark but the deceptive dark calm of the water that it swims in and how defenseless we are in his world. Wish I could see it for the first time again.

You can find out more about Brute on IMDb (link).

I'm working at keeping my material free of subscription charges by supplementing costs by being an Amazon Associate and having advertising appear. I earn a fee when people make purchases of qualified products from Amazon when they enter the site from a link on Guild Master Gaming and when people click on an ad. If you do either, thank you.

If you have a comment, suggestion, or critique please leave a comment here or send an email to guildmastergaming@gmail.com.

I have articles being published by others and you can find most of them on Guild Master Gaming on Facebookand Twitter(@GuildMstrGmng).

No comments:

Post a Comment